Lipsi Island | An Untouched Retreat
Leipsoi (Lipsi), east of Patmos and north of Leros, is a small, colorful island in the northern part of the Dodecanese. According to mythology, this is the island where Calypso seduced Odysseus on his sail back to Ithaca.
Because this tiny island is remote and located far from Athens, many tourists have not affected it. However, it is a frequent destination for free campers, naturists, and trekkers.
Lipsi lies just 1m above sea level. The climate is warm and temperate, with more rainfall in the winter than in the summer. The average temperature is 18.5 °C.
- Lipsi Town, which is the capital and main port of the island. It extends around a safe, natural port surrounded by low hills. A small town with a relaxing atmosphere and a traditional way of life.
- Church of Agios Ioannis Theologos, located on a hill above the main town. From the yard of this church, you get a fabulous view of the island and the Aegean Sea. This church was constructed in 1931, and the brownstone and the blue and white colors distinguish its architecture.
- The Church of Panagia Harou (Virgin Mary of Death) is set in lovely surroundings on the way to the beach of Hohlakoura.
- See the revered Ano Kimisi Temple, a site rich in historical and spiritual significance. Along the way, you’ll be captivated by the awe-inspiring presence of the sacred Church of Kimisi tis Theotokou, an architectural gem that stands as a testament to the island’s religious heritage and devotion.
- Natural springs like the Pikri Nero.
- The Cave of Ontas and other interesting geological formations.
- Visit the Fortress at the highest point of the island.
- The town of Lipsi has a popular long promenade, especially in the evening. It’s where tourists can find taverns and a few cafeterias. There are no clubs or bars in this area.
- The twenty-four islets around Lipsi are museums of living history with rich flora and fauna. The islets are ideal refuges for the Monchus-Monachus seal, sea turtles, falcons, gulls, and some rare birds.
- Swim in crystal clear, azure-blue waters on an unspoiled sandy beach.
- Lipsi offers hiking and Nature walks: Lace up your hiking boots and explore the island’s walking trails. The landscapes are diverse, featuring lush valleys, rocky cliffs, and serene olive groves. Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the stunning views.
- Diving and exploring the caves along the coast while looking for sea turtles or seals.
- Go to the beach. Kambos Beach, Platis Gialos Beach, Katsadia Beach, Tourkomnima Beach, Hohlakoura Beach, Lientou Beach, Elena Beach, Papandria Beach.
- Wine Tasting: Lipsi produces its own wine, and you can visit local wineries to taste the island’s unique vintages. Sip wine while enjoying the tranquil surroundings.
- Stargazing: Lipsi’s dark night skies provide the perfect backdrop for stargazing. Lay back on the beach or find a quiet spot away from artificial lights to admire the constellations.
Look for thyme honey, wine, cheese (Touloumotyri cheese), the local version of cottage cheese called mizithra, and delicious grapes. The wine is abundant – from dark red to rose to white.
There is locally caught seafood like octopus, crawfish, prawns, and oysters, as well as delicacies like cheese pies, split-pea fried balls, or lamb casserole. Poygkaki, a fried or oven-baked strudel pouch filled with all possible tidbits or moustalveria, and a grape cream are delicious. Enjoy while drinking ouzo in the company of locals. Pefko is a good choice for authentic cuisine.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.