Martinique is an overseas region of France and the largest of the Windward Islands. This Caribbean island reflects a unique blend of French and West Indian cultures. Its diverse landscape, beaches, mountains, cities, and towns await exploring. The name Martinique is said to come from the Indian word Madiana, which translates to the Island of flowers—aptly named as the island’s fertile volcanic soil produces an abundance of flora.
In Martinique, the climate is tropical, hot, and humid all year round, with a relatively cool and dry season from January to mid-April. From mid-June to mid-November, it is hot, humid, and rainy. Tradewinds blow steadily in the cool and dry periods.
Martinique | Things to See and Do
- Hike Mont Pelée. This still-smoldering volcano destroyed the former capital of St Pierre in 1902.
- Visit the island’s northern part for rainforest-covered mountains, or head south for beautiful beaches and quiet bays.
- See the capital. The capital of Fort-de-France is quite busy but offers many exciting activities such as walking tours, shopping, and dining. Or, visit La Savane, a 12-acre landscaped park.
- Explore Les Anses d’Arlet. This picturesque village in southern Martinique offers gorgeous scenery and beautiful beaches.
- Dive. The legendary Rocher du Diamant (Diamond Rock) is south of the island and offers many caves, arches, and rock formations to explore. Another excellent dive site is Anses d’Arlet (Arlet’s Coves). Here, warm, shallow water teems with marine life.
- Shop Grand Marche, also called the Spice Market. Located in downtown Fort-de-France, this market offers all sorts of vegetables, spices, and fruits.
Marinas in Martinique
Marina Marin: A very large marina offering 830 berths. The Marina du Marin also offers various services, such as provisions, a laundromat, a medical center, fuel, and pump-out services.
Marina Pointe du Bout: In the bay of Fort de France. An all-concrete marina surrounded by a few bars and restaurants.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.