The relatively untouched island of Cres, Croatia, is a rugged wilderness with just a few sleepy waterside resorts, remote bays, and beaches. It’s green in the north and barren in the south. The island has more sheep than people, and it is sparsely populated. It’s no wonder that roast lamb is the island’s specialty.
Although Cres is not the most visited of Croatia’s islands, it is worth exploring. A swing bridge in the small town of Osor, Croatia, connects the islands of Cres and Losinj. The bridge opened twice daily, so boats could pass through the narrow sea channel, which the Romans dug.
Cres | Things to see and do
- Explore Cres Town. It centers on a pretty fishing harbor rimmed by pastel-colored houses. Climb the 16th-century Venetian stone tower for fantastic views.
- Visit the Griffon Vulture Rescue Center in Beli. These enormous birds, now quite rare, nest in the seaward cliffs and can live for 40 years.
- Also, in Beli, hike or cycle the marked trails through the Tramuntana forest, with its towering oak and chestnut trees.
- Try ziplining in Beli.
- Explore Cres’s remote pebble beaches. The loveliest, Lubenice, is best accessed from the sea by boat.
- Close to Lubenice, you can swim in the Blue Grotto in Zanje Bay. Inside the grotto, beautiful blue light reflects on the ceiling. It is certainly something to see, especially in the late afternoon.
- In Osor, see the museum Osor Archaeological Collection displaying Roman stone carvings and ancient coins.
- Feast on Cres lamb at Konoba Bukaleta, in the hilltop village of Loznati, just outside of town. If you prefer seafood, eat freshly caught fish at the waterside MaMaLu in Valun.
Marinas and Anchorages
Martinscica. The town is a popular stop for yachts on their way to the south because it has a protected harbor.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.