Opatija overlooks the wide Kvarner Bay and is backed by Mount Ucka. Most importantly, it is the birthplace of Croatian tourism. In the 19th century, wealthy Austro-Hungarians began visiting Opatija on convalescence. Above all, they enjoyed the mild climate and clean sea air. As a result, they built elegant Art Nouveau villas here.
Still today, the 19-mile Opatija Riviera is a year-round destination. It attracts everyone from health tourists to sailing crews. Indeed, it makes a fine starting point for exploring the islands of Kvarner Bay.
Things to see and do
- Walk the eight-mile Lungomare coastal promenade. It runs from Volosko to Lovran, passing through Opatija. You’ll see old-fashioned hotels and sleepy fishing harbors and enjoy ever-changing vistas over the gulf.
- In Opatija, see the Croatian Museum of Tourism in Villa Angiolina. Angiolina Park is home to this elegant villa dating from 1844. The Liburnia Jazz Festival takes place here each July in the open-air theater.
- Explore the tiny fishing village of Volosko, with its quaint harbor, open-air seafood restaurants, and cafes.
- In Lovran, see the elegant Art Nouveau waterside villas and the medieval stone alleys of the Old Town.
- Be sure to indulge in a spa treatment. Originally Opatija was a climatic health resort. Still today, it is one of Croatia’s most popular wellness destinations. The Milenji Spa is one of the best.
- Hike or bike in Ucka Nature Park. A well-marked trail runs through woodland and steep canyons. The views down onto Kvarner Bay are superb.
- Dine at the Michelin-starred Draga di Lovrana on the lower slopes of Mt Ucka, above Lovran. If you prefer, enjoy fresh local seafood at family-run Konoba Tramerka, down by the harbor in Volosko.
Marinas and Anchorages
Marina Admiral Opatija. This marina, next to Hotel Admiral, has 160 berths. It is equipped with water and electricity, ecological waste management, and laundry service.
ACI Marina Opatija. This marina in Ičići (between Opatija and Lovran) has 283 berths. Amenities include a restaurant, beauty salon, bathrooms, grocery store, free Wi-Fi, and an ATM.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.