The industrial port city of Rijeka was the European Capital of Culture 2020. Overlooking the Kvarner Gulf and backed by the mountains of Gorski Kotar, it is Croatia’s third-largest city. Nearby, Pula, a former Roman colony lies in close proximity to Venice, Italy.
This bustling city sits at the crossroads between the Kvarner region and Istria. It is an excellent place to start your Croatia Luxury Yacht Charter for sailing around the islands of the Kvarner Gulf. It lies just across the Bay from the islands of Krk and Cres, two great Croatia yacht charter destinations.
Rijeka: Things to See and Do
- Above all, stroll down the Korzo, the main pedestrian thoroughfare lined with shops and cafes. This is the main public meeting space.
- After that, hike up to Trsat Castle. From the seafront, follow the Petar Kružić Stairway, built-in 1531. It’s a steep climb with over 560 steps, but you have impressive views over the entire city and the sea from the top.
- Shop at the City Market, close to the port. Three pavilions, built in the late 1800s, display local produce – seasonal fruit and vegetables, fresh fish, and meats.
- Visit the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, which has an ever-changing program of art exhibitions.
- Explore the Rijeka Tunnel, a pedestrian tunnel running under the city center. It was built from 1939 to 1942 by the Italian military to protect civilians from Allied aerial bombings during World War II.
- Dine at Conca d’Oro. The menu includes a choice of local seafood dishes, pasta, and pizza. Informal and welcoming, it lies in a narrow side street off the Korzo.
Marinas and Anchorages
- Port of Rijeka. The principal seaport of Croatia, overlooking Kvarner Bay. It’s located in the city center of Rijeka, close to the central train and bus stations.
Please contact us at 1 (321) 777-1707 or complete our contact form to start planning your yacht charter vacation! It's never too early, or too late to inquire about your bespoke private yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.