The industrial port city of Rijeka was European Capital of Culture 2020. Overlooking the Kvarner Gulf, and backed by the mountains of Gorski Kotar, it is Croatia’s third-largest city.
This bustling city sits at the crossroads between the Kvarner region and Istria. It is an excellent place to start your Croatia Luxury Yacht Charter, for sailing round the islands of the Kvarner Gulf.
Rijeka: Things to See and Do
- Above all, stroll down the Korzo, the main pedestrain thoroughfare, lined with shops and cafes. This is the main public meeting space.
- After that, hike up to Trsat Castle. From the seafront, follow the Petar Kružić Stairway, built in 1531. It’s a steep climb with over 560 steps, but from the top, you have impressive views over the entire city and the sea.
- Shop at the City Market, close to the port. Three pavillions, built in the late-1800’s, display local produce – seasonal fruit and vegetables, fresh fish, and meats.
- Visit the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, which has an ever changing program of art exhibitions.
- Explore the Rijeka Tunnel, a pedestrian tunnel running under the city center. It was built from 1939 to 1942 by the Italian military, to protect civilians from Allied aerial bombings during World War II.
- Dine at Conca d’Oro. The menu includes a choice of local seafood dishes, pasta and pizza. Infomral and welcoming, it lies hidden away in a narrow side street off the Korzo.
Marinas and Anchorages
- Port of Rijeka. The principal seaport of Croatia, overlooking Kvarner Bay. It’s located in the city center of Rijeka, close to the central train and bus stations.