Korčula island, part of South Dalmatia, lies approximately halfway between Split and Dubrovnik. Certainly, Korčula is steeped in history, culture, and natural beauty. The main settlement, Korcula Town, sits on a small peninsula protected by medieval fortifications – as a result, it is often called “Little Dubrovnik.” Korčula’s second town, Vela Luka, lies in a deep sheltered bay on the island’s west coast.
In addition, there are excellent white wines. The little-known Grk grape variety hales from Lumbarda. Similarly, the esteemed Posip grape grows in Cara and Smokvica.
Korčula is quite beautiful and has an easily accessible coastline. Sailing down the windy sea channel between the island and Peljesac is especially exciting.
Things to see and do
- First, explore the Old Town. See the town walls, with forts and towers, and the main square, home to the majestic Cathedral. Also, visit the Marco Polo House, supposedly the birthplace of the world-renowned explorer.
- Then, attend an after-dark show of the Moreska, a traditional sword dance performed on summer evenings in Korcula Town.
- Go sea kayaking around Korcula’s coastline and surrounding islets with Korcula Outdoor.
- Sail over to Badija islet, home to a Franciscan monastery, pebbly beaches, and wild deer.
- Try windsurfing in the sea channel between Korcula and Peljesac, where wind conditions are ideal.
- Go wine tasting. Visit Bire to sample Grk wine in Lumbarda and Toreta to try Posip wine in Smokvica.
- Feast on Creative Mediterranean dishes at Michelin-starred LD Restaurant in Korcula-Town; Also, try local homemade specialties at rustic Konoba Maha near Zrnovo.
- Finally, if you are in Vela Luka, visit the Vela Spila (Big Cave). It was inhabited in prehistoric times, and archaeological excavations unearthed early tools, jewelry, fossils, and bones. And it’s a 20-minute walk from Vela Luka bay.
Marinas and Ports | Korcula
ACI Marina Korcula. Situated next to the historic center of Korcula-Town, this marina has 159 berths. Amenities include an ATM, laundry, bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, a hair salon, a grocery store, and a restaurant.
Marina Korkyra in Vela Luka opened in the summer of 2020. It has 135 berths, a bar, and restaurants.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.