Tilos is a tiny island of the Dodecanese, located between Kos and Rhodes, away from mass tourism. It offers a secluded atmosphere, remote beaches ideal for total privacy, and small villages – it is a place off the beaten track.
Tilos has a prevailing Mediterranean climate. The summers are hot and dry, and the temperature is mild in the winter. The average annual temperature is 21°C, with about 297 mm of rain in a year. It is dry 243 days a year with an average humidity of 64%.
Places to see
- Livadia is the main port of Tilos and a beautiful settlement with 300 inhabitants, most of whom work in tourism and farming.
- Churches. Church of Agia Annna, the church of Agios Nikolaos that stands in front of the port, and the church of Agios Panteleimonas.
- Medieval port of Agios Stefanos, with its lighthouse.
- Mikro Chorio is a deserted village between Livadia and Megalo Chorio, the capital of Tilos.
- Megalo Chorio Village is the island’s capital, 7 kilometers northwest of the main port.
- The Medieval Castle of Tilos is located to the north of Megalo Chorio. Built atop a hill by the Knights of Saint John during the late Byzantine period, this medieval castle offers spectacular views across the bay of Agios Antonios. A late-afternoon visit probably offers one of the best sunsets on the island.
- Charkadio Cave is located about 2 kilometers south of Megalo Chorio, at the center of Tilos island. This is a significant cave discovered in 1971 by the geologist and speleologist Nikolaos Simeonides. Further excavations brought into light Neolithic items, such as stone hunting tools and pieces of pottery.
- The Monastery of Saint Panteleimon, dating from the 15th century, is the main church in Tilos. It is located at the end of the only road on the island.
Things to do
- Go to the beach. Livadia Beach is the most popular and closest to Tilos’s main port. Eristos Beach is one of the few beaches in Tilos which can be easily accessed. Agios Antonios Beach is one of the longest in Tilos and is very clean. Plaka Beach is a long, narrow beach with a rocky seabed and lots of greenery along the coast.
- Hike. Check out some suggested routes here. Since it is hot most of the year on Tilos, hiking is best in the fall and spring.
- Birdwatch. Tilos Island has more than 125 wild bird species.
- Scuba dive.
The local products of Tilos include thyme honey and goat cheese. Try other specialties such as hondro (a dish made from chopped cooked wheat), giaprakia (stuffed grape leaves), and tsouvras or ntomatosoupa (soup made with peeled and crushed ripe tomatoes, onions, water, salt, and pepper)
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.