Alonnisos is an island in the Sporades, and it is brimming with greenery, including pine, oak, fruit trees, and vineyards. In contrast with the lush plant life, there are rocky coasts and enchanting pebbly beaches on brilliant blue waters. If you’re looking to spend time in nature on your Greek Luxury Yacht Charter, Alonissos is a beautiful destination.
Things to See
- National Marine Park of Alonnisos
- Church of the Birth of Christ Church in Old Alonnisos. This church, built in the 12th century, is one of the few that still stands after the earthquake in 1965. There are several other picturesque churches in the town, such as the Church of Panagia Vounou and a 16th-century monastery called Kyra Panagia.
- Chora. This quaint village on a hill was once the capital. After the 1965 earthquake, many citizens left the town. Today, the revitalized village is a haven for artists and writers. The views from town are spectacular.
Things to Do
- Go to the beach. There are many lovely beaches, such as Agios Dimitrios Beach, Megalos Mourtias Beach, Mikros Mourtias Beach, and Leftos Gialos Beach.
- Visit Kalamakia Village in Alonnisos.
- Walk. Footpaths and trails meander through the island. Because Alonnisos isn’t crowded, you may not even pass anyone on your walk.
- Dive. There are numerous dive sites around the island where you’ll be amazed at the natural splendor of the underwater world. Connect with one of the local dive shops to schedule a trip. A few options include Blue Dream Dive Center, Triton Dive Center, and Seacolours Dive Center.
Local cuisine on Alonissos Island is based mainly on traditional recipes. The local seafood, vegetables, olives oils, and cheeses are a big part of many dishes. Treats include fouskakia (traditional donuts), hamalia (triangle-shaped sweets with delicious filling sprinkled with sugar), and an almond sweet called amigdalota.
Meltemi Restaurant and Bar. This restaurant serves authentic Greek cuisine, including fresh seafood, pasta, and homemade desserts. You’ll especially enjoy the magnificent view from the dining room.
Elenas Restaurant. This family-run establishment is directly on the beach of Leftos Gialos. They serve fresh local cuisine, including locally-caught fish, lobster, and goat cheese.
Marinas and Anchorages
Many inviting and pristine bays around Alonnisos Island are perfect for mooring. In the north, there’s the bay of Gerakas. Another well-protected anchorage is in the bay of Xero, and this spot is well protected from the northern winds.
Please contact us at 1 (321) 777-1707 or complete our contact form to start planning your yacht charter vacation! It's never too early, or too late to inquire about your bespoke private yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.