Belfast was once a prosperous shipbuilding center. Today the city is a vibrant cultural center with artists, writers, and craftspeople. In fact, the downtown area offers many places to shop, dine, or take in the laid-back artist community vibe.
Originally dating back to 1770, Belfast was settled by Scottish-Irish families from Londonderry, New Hampshire. After running into British soldiers who had just attacked Massachusetts, terrified settlers abandoned the town. However, nearly twenty years later, they returned and built a thriving town able to supply the surrounding area with all necessities.
At the northwest corner of Penobscot Bay is this quiet and charming town, an option on your Maine luxury yacht charter.
Places to see
- The Belfast Rail Trail on the Passagassawaukeag River. The Rail Trail follows the route of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad, a passenger and freight line that operated from 1871 to 2007 between Belfast and Burnham Junction.
- Moosepoint State Park. The park has panoramic views, hiking trails, tidal pools, and picnicking facilities.
Things to do in Belfast
- Stroll the new Belfast Harbor Walk.
- Shop the United Farmers Market of Maine, a year-round indoor farmer’s market.
- Discover the city’s history at the Museum in the Streets.
The most pleasant months of the year are June, July, and August. There are three comfortable months with high temperatures in the range of 70-85°. July is the hottest month, with an average high temperature of 77.1°, which ranks it as cooler than most places in Maine. January is the snowiest month, with 18.0 inches of snow. There are a few days during the summer when the humidity becomes unpleasant in Belfast and Maine in general.
Marinas in Belfast
Front Street Shipyard has slips for yachts up to 200 feet, water and 30-, 50- and 100-amp shore power, and 100-amp three-phase power available on the docks, free Wi-Fi, dinghy tie-up, parking, shower facilities, and lounge area.
Belfast Marina is open from May 10th to October 10th and offers 28 slips, electricity, water, an off-site shower, and a restroom within walking distance to downtown.
Please contact us at 1 (321) 777-1707 or complete our contact form to start planning your yacht charter vacation! It's never too early, or too late to inquire about your bespoke private yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.