Belfast, Maine, was once a prosperous shipbuilding center, and today the city is a vibrant cultural center with artists, writers, and craftspeople. The downtown area offers many places to shop, dine, or take in the laid-back artist community vibe.
Originally dating back to 1770, Belfast was settled by Scottish-Irish families from Londonderry, New Hampshire. After running into British soldiers who had just attacked Massachusetts, terrified settlers abandoned the town. However, nearly twenty years later, they returned and built a thriving town to supply the surrounding area with all necessities.
This quiet and charming town is at the northwest corner of Penobscot Bay, an option on your Maine luxury yacht charter.
The most pleasant months of the year are June, July, and August. There are three comfortable months with high temperatures in the range of 70-85°. July is the hottest month, with an average high temperature of 77.1°, which ranks it as cooler than most places in Maine. January is the snowiest month, with 18.0 inches of snow. There are a few days during the summer when the humidity becomes unpleasant in Belfast and Maine.
Places to see
- The Belfast Rail Trail on the Passagassawaukeag River. The Rail Trail follows the route of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad, a passenger and freight line that operated from 1871 to 2007 between Belfast and Burnham Junction.
- Moosepoint State Park. The park has panoramic views, hiking trails, tidal pools, and picnicking facilities.
Things to do in Belfast
- Stroll the new Belfast Harbor Walk.
- Shop the United Farmers Market of Maine, a year-round indoor farmer’s market.
- Discover the city’s history at the Museum in the Streets.
Marinas in Belfast
Front Street Shipyard has slips for yachts up to 200 feet, water and 30-, 50- and 100-amp shore power, and 100-amp three-phase power available on the docks, free Wi-Fi, dinghy tie-up, parking, shower facilities, and lounge area.
Belfast Marina is open from May 10th to October 10th and offers 28 slips, electricity, water, an off-site shower, and a restroom within walking distance of downtown.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.