Jost Van Dyke is the smallest of the four main islands of the British Virgin Islands, measuring roughly 3 square miles. It rests in the northern portion of the archipelago of the Virgin Islands, located in the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Jost Van Dyke lies about 5 miles to the northwest of Tortola and 5 miles to the north of Saint John. The island of Jost Van Dyke was named after a noted Dutch Pirate, Joost van Dyk.
The climate in Jost Van Dyke is subtropical and regulated by cool trade winds. The trade winds prevent the island from becoming overly temperate. Therefore, the weather in Jost Van Dyke varies very little from month to month. The yearly average temperature is 80.5 F.
Jost Van Dyke: Things to see and do
- Snorkel or dive at popular dive sites. Popular spots include Twin Towers, Sandy Cay, Wayward Wall, Stoney Bay, and The Cathedral.
- Go mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, sailing, bone-fishing.
- Visit the natural wonder known as the Bubbly Pool, a tidal pool with a narrow opening to the sea. Be sure to bring water shoes because the area is rocky.
- Try local cuisines, such as barbecues, West Indian rotis, flying fish sandwiches, grilled fresh fish, and lobster.
- Stop by the Soggy Dollar Bar for a cocktail like the world-famous Painkiller cocktail.
- For a truly unique experience, get a massage at Ocean Spa BVI. Here, you’ll not only float on the waters at White Bay while enjoying the experience, but you’ll also be able to see tropical fish floating beneath the massage table.
- Visit Jost Van Dyke’s famous Foxy’s Bar.
Little Harbour Marina: Amenities include Wi-Fi, 24-hour security, competitive docking rates, dockside supermarket, ice machine, diesel and gasoline, and water. In addition, the marina is close to restaurants, bars, and taxi services. It is well-lit at night.
North Latitude Marina: Full-service fuel station for diesel, gas, and lubricants; all U.S. measured. 100-foot dock that can easily accommodate a 100 X 30 ft vessel: draft 12-feet. Friendly docking assistance, on-site provisioning shop including ice, snacks, cold beer, fishing baits, and batteries.