Marina Cay | BVI’s Tiny Tropical Isle
Marina Cay is a small BVI island between Camanoe Island and Scrub Island. This tropical gem has an enchanting story to tell with its powdery white beaches, vibrant coral reefs, and emerald-green foliage.
The island was completely destroyed by Hurricane Irma in 2017. As a result, this idyllic paradise was closed to visitors. Fortunately, in 2023 Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina bought the island. They opened the Marina Cay Bar and Grill Restaurant, which is receiving excellent reviews.
The Story Behind Marina Cay
Marina Cay is more than just a beautiful island—it’s a living history. The roots of this charming paradise can be traced back to the 1930s when it caught the eye of British author Robb White and his wife, Rodie. The couple fell in love with the island’s unspoiled beauty and decided to make it their home. Robb chronicled their life on Marina Cay in his book “Two on the Isle”, giving readers a glimpse into the island’s early days.
Stunning Natural Beauty
Marina Cay’s small size contributes to its intimate and secluded atmosphere. The backdrop of sandy white beaches and swaying palm trees provides a peaceful retreat.
Marina Cay | Things to See and Do
- Enjoy the view. You can see the surrounding islands and the airplanes landing at Beef Island airport.
- Snorkel. There is excellent snorkeling on the reef around the island. You may see yellowtail snappers, sharp-nose puffers, and spotted goatfish.
- SUP, kayak, or drift around the cay on a floating mat. The scenery is spectacular.
- Dine at the new Marina Cay Bar and Grill Restaurant. Sweet potato shrimp, Anegada conch chowder, and Seafood Pepper Pot are just a few of the delicious menu items.
- Visit Cardamom & Co. in the Marriott Resort on Scrub Island for lunch or dinner. This highly-rated restaurant offers Caribbean, seafood, and international cuisine.
- Stop at nearby Cam Bay National Park and look for birds and other protected wildlife.
Best Time to Visit Marina Cay
The best time to visit Marina Cay depends on your preferences and activities. Generally, the island has a warm and sunny climate year-round, with average highs in the 80s and lows in the 70s. However, there are some factors to consider, such as:
- The rainy season spans from May to October and can bring occasional showers and storms. However, the rain usually does not last long and can be refreshing after a hot day.
- The hurricane season: Hurricane season also coincides with the rainy season and can pose a risk of tropical storms. The peak months are August and September when the chances of a major hurricane are higher.
- The peak season: Peak season is from December to April, when the weather is dry and sunny, and the island attracts more visitors. This is a great time to enjoy the beach, snorkeling, boating, and other outdoor activities.
There are no marinas on Marina Cay. However, mooring balls are available. The closest marina is on Scrub Island.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.