The relaxing island of Sikinos welcomes you with terraces, low stone fences, and many chapels dotting scenery bathed by the beautiful green and blue waters. It’s not a cosmopolitan island with a wild nightlife, rather it can offer you some unique moments of tranquility. Sikinos is also well-known for its wine production, a strong tradition that started in ancient times.
The island is between the islands of Folegandros and Ios in the Cyclades.
The island of Sikinos has a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is 79° F, with an annual rainfall of around 12 inches. It is dry for 243 days a year.
Places to see
- Chora is the capital of Sikinos and consists of two settlements, Horio and Kastro, both beautiful and located only a few meters away from each other. Today, the villagers lead a traditional life, preserving their customs and festivities.
- Alopronoia Village, or Ano Pronia village, is a small picturesque port located in the island’s southeastern part, about 4 kilometers from Chora. Although not a party spot, this is where you’ll enjoy music, wine, and food.
- Byzantine Collection in the central square of Chora. It features exhibits of the island’s most important icons. These icons are only displayed during the summer months and moved to the church of Panagia Pantanassa during the winter.
- The Church of Panagia Pantanassa in Kastro village is the island’s most famous church. This church was built in 1787 and has lovely katholikon and beautiful late-Byzantine icons.
- The Folklore Museum in Chora features exhibits, artifacts, and materials that shed light on the island’s past. Located in an olive oil press, the museum is, in fact, the family home of an American expatriate who served in the US Navy for a significant part of his life. The Greek-born man has extensive knowledge of making olive oil and even the island’s history.
- The Monastery of Episkopi is within a one-hour walking distance from Chora. It is a place of particular interest, and it is well worth visiting.
- The Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi is on a hill above Chora. Its location gives an impressive view of the sea and the sunset.
- Folegandros. The nearby island of Folegandros is home to beaches and restaurants. See our Folegandros page for more information.
- Ios. Hop over to Ios for nightlife, more fabulous beaches, restaurants, and must-do activities, See our Ios page for additional information.
Things to do
- Hike. There are various hiking trails around the island. Some of the most popular trails are Episokpi to Agia Marina 1.4km (35 min), and Profitis Ilias to Malta: 4km (1.5h).
- Visit the beach. The few organized beaches are Port Beach, Agios Georgios Beach, Dialiskari Beach, and Malta Beach.
- Celebrate. If you are fortunate enough to visit Sikinos during a festival, you’ll see how the residents enjoy every celebration to its fullest. There’s a lot of music, folklore dances, food, and wine.
- Visit a winery. The island produces not only fabulous honey but also delicious wines.
- Explore the Mavri Spilia cave. This cave, under the Monastery of Hrisopigi, is said to be among the most beautiful of the Cyclades. It can only be reached by boat.
Age-old traditions continue in Sikinos as local women make pasteli sesame snaps and melitinia, a traditional mini-pie made with mild myzithra cheese, sugar, vanilla, flour, eggs, and semolina flour.
Sikinos is well-known for its honey. The ten tons of honey produced yearly is among the best in Greece. Besides honey, the island produces excellent wine.
There are no large marinas on the island. However, there are some pretty anchorages and a port.
- Aghios Georgios is a lovely anchorage on the southeast coast. The Agios Georgios islet protects it.
- Agios Nikolaos bay is located between Sikinos port and Agios Georgios. It’s tiny. It has a tiny beach that is lined with Tamarix trees.
- Alopronia, or Skala, is the only port from which to visit the Chora.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.