Zakynthos may very well be the most beautiful Ionian Greek Island. It is home to the world-famous Navagio shipwreck, gorgeous beaches, and welcoming villages.
Places to see
- Towns and villages. The capital, Zakynthos-Town, Maherado, Volimes, Maries, and Agios Leon, are just a few of the picturesque places worth seeing.
- Blue Caves: The West coast of Zante offers one of its most stunning views.
- Askos Stone Park. Park features native plants and wildlife as well as a series of ancient stone structures. You can get close to animals such as deer and raccoons, feed them, and pet them.
- The Church of Agios Nikolaos Molos.
- The Helmis National History Museum.
- The Monastery of Agios Georgios Krimnon.
- The Naval Museum.
- Sarakina Mansion. A gorgeous old estate with centuries-old olive trees.
- The Venetian Bridge of Argassi. The bridge is about 10 meters from the seashore in the small harbor of Argassi. Due to severe erosion from the seawater and the winds, almost half of the bridge now rests on the shore while the other half is underwater.
- The Venetian Castle.
- Vrysakia Aqueduct. If you have a keen sense of adventure, take a hike to this fascinating structure. The aqueduct is not easy to reach. However, the view is gratifying.
Things to do
- Go to the beach. Navagio Beach, also known as Shipwreck Cove, is the most famous beach of Zakynthos, lying on the western side of the Ionian island, close to Anafotiria village. Or, visit other beaches, including Gerakas, Kalamaki, Agios Nikolaos, and Spiantza.
- Kayak. Sea Kayaking Zakynthos offers organized trips suitable for all ages and skill levels. In addition, the company offers SUP trips and lessons.
- Create. After a day of being in the sun, take a break and make your ceramic souvenir of Zakynthos at Dionysia Avouri studios. This is an excellent activity for both children and adults.
Zakynthos has a Mediterranean climate, with mild, rainy winters and hot, sunny summers. Winter, from December to mid-March, is mild. However, it can be rainy, especially in December and January. During those months, the island can receive more than 6 inches of rain per month.
Traditional cuisine on the island includes meat, fish, vegetables, cheeses, salads, and of course, olive oil. Try stuffed red peppers, mousaka, yiouvetsi (lamb with pasta), stuffed rabbit cooked in wine or stewed, stifado (calf with onions and tomatoes, or papoutsakia (eggplant stuffed with meat and béchamel).
For traditional fare, visit Avra Taverna Restaurant or Premier Restaurant.
Visit the island on your next Ionian Islands Yacht Charter. Zakynthos and Kefalonia are two of the most famous islands in the Ionians. Both islands have airports with flights to Athens and other destinations.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.