Poreč lies on Istria’s west coast and is one of Croatia’s most popular tourist destinations. Originally founded by the Romans, the Old Town sits on a tiny peninsula. Above all, the main cultural attraction is the 6th-century Euphrasian Basilica, decorated with magnificent golden Byzantine mosaics, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also in the Old Town, there are some noble Gothic and Baroque buildings. Porec’s big modern hotel resorts lie out of town, along the coast.
In short, Porec is a lovely place to visit while sailing the Istrian coast. July and August are the warmest months and height of the tourist season. You can swim from May through October in Poreč’s clean sea-waters.
Porec | Things to See and Do
- Firstly, walk the length of the Decumanus, the ancient Roman street with polished stones, in Porec’s Old Town.
- At the end of the Decumanus, on the tip of the Old Town peninsula, see Trg Marafor. In Roman times this was the forum.
- Most importantly, tour the 6th-century Euphrasian Basilica. View its stunning mosaics, baptistery, and belfry.
- Visit the island of Sveti Nikola, with beaches and pinewoods, and fine views back to Porec across the water.
- Hire a bicycle and cycle Porec’s bike trails.
- Go scuba diving to explore wrecks and caves with Diving Center Porec.
- Attend a classical music recital in the Euphrasian Basilica during the Concerts in Basilica festival.
- Enjoy a free summer jazz performance during the Jazz in Lapidariju festival.
- Dine on gourmet Istrian seafood at Sveti Nikola, on Porec’s seafront promenade.
- Five miles northeast of Porec, visit Baredine Cave, known for its spectacular stalactite formations.
- In conclusion, drive inland to the Mirna Valley to join a truffle hunting tour with Karlić Tartufi.
Marinas and Anchorages
- Marina Porec is located in Porec bay, immediately south of the Old Town. It offers 129 berths for boats up to 17m, laundry, wifi, and other services. It is open year-round.
- Marina Parentium lies in front of the Zelena Laguna resort, four miles from Porec’s Old Town. offers 184 berths.