Losinj | The Island of Vitality
Losinj Island, Croatia, boasts a rich maritime history dating back to ancient Greek and Roman times. Its sheltered bays and proximity to the Italian mainland made it a strategic stopover for centuries. Today, this legacy lives on in a thriving yachting scene.
Losinj | A Leader in Sustainable Tourism
In addition, Losinj Island is a recognized leader in sustainable tourism. It holds the prestigious European Destination of Excellence (EDEN) award for 2016. The island commits to preserving its natural beauty and cultural heritage. This commitment is evident in its well-maintained infrastructure, diverse marine life, and charming villages untouched by mass tourism.
Losinj has a mild Mediterranean climate, natural beauty, sunny days, and fresh sea air. As a result, the local tourist board has dubbed it “The Island of Vitality.” This island is in Kvarner Bay and is joined by a swing bridge to the neighboring island of Cres. Close by is Opatija, Rab Island, and Senj.
Chartering a yacht in Losinj is a breeze with our wide range of vessels to suit all budgets and preferences. Whether you’re a seasoned sailor or new to yachting, we will find the perfect boat and crew to guide you.
Places to see on Losinj Island
- Losinj has several settlements, including Nerezine, Sveti Jakov, Ćunski, Artatore, Mali Lošinj, and Veli Lošinj. Each town has something different to offer, so depending on your itinerary, plan to visit as many as possible.
- In the 19th century, the town of Mali Losinj was a wealthy trading port and shipbuilding center. Tourism started here in the late 19th century. The neighboring smaller town of Veli Losinj lies a pleasant 30-minute away.
- Open-air markets. Experience the island’s vibrant culture at open-air markets like the one in Mali Losinj’s main square. Find fresh produce, homemade jams and honey, local herbs and spices, and handcrafted souvenirs.
Things to do on Losinj Island
- Explore the main town. Stroll around the deep sheltered harbor, filled with boats and rimmed by old villas. Then walk through pinewoods to Cikat Bay for beaches and watersports facilities.
- Visit the Museum of Apoxyomenos. Here you can see the Ancient Greek bronze statue of Apoxyomenos, which was pulled from the sea in 1996.
- See the lovely Losinj Aromatic Garden – a relaxing verdant oasis planted with aromatic herbs.
- In neighboring Veli Losinj, visit the Losinj Marine Education Center. This center provides a look into marine life conservation in the Adriatic Sea.
- Take a boat tour with Dolphin Watching Adriatic to experience these creatures in their natural habitat.
- Indulge in a spa treatment. The Punta Vitality Hotel offers health and wellness programs.
- Dine at the highly regarded Alfred Keller Restaurant at Boutique Hotel Alhambra. The chefs create beautifully presented modern cuisine, using local seafood and seasonal organic vegetables. Alternatively, eat fresh fish at Konoba Corrado, also in Mali Losinj.
Dining on Losinj is a pleasure for foodies. Restaurants serve variations of traditional cuisines, such as black risotto, colored with cuttlefish ink. The ink gives the dish a distinctive color and unique taste. Fish such as dorado, sole, and sea bass are widely available and always fresh.
The island has many restaurants, taverns, and cafes where you can enjoy international dishes and local island specialties.
Marinas and Anchorages
Marina Mali Losinj. One hundred sixty-five berths for boats up to 30 meters. This marina has a bar, restaurant, bathrooms, grocery store, and fuel.
Krivica Bay. Rimmed by pinewoods, this beautiful bay is well protected from the wind and swell. Docking and moorings are available. Lay your towel on the beach and grab a bite to eat from the snack bar.
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.