Here’s the Bahamas General information you might find helpful when traveling in the Bahamas:
- Bahamas Entry Procedures and Protocols for COVID-19: Boating Protocols and COVID-19 Testing.
- Capital: Nassau on the island of New Providence.
- Population: 300,000+
- Area: 700 islands of 5,380 square miles
- Currency: Bahamian $; US$1=Ba$1
- Language: English. Tourist center employees, however, often speak other European languages
- Political status: Independent nation; and a member of the Commonwealth.
- Religion: Traditional Christian churches
- Business: In Nassau, Paradise Island, and Freeport, banks are open 9.30 am-3 pm, Monday to Thursday. On Friday, they are open 9.30 am-5 pm. Hours vary in the other islands. The main banks include the Central Bank of The Bahamas, Bank of Nova Scotia, Barclays, Chase Manhattan, Citibank, and Royal Bank of Canada. Shops are open 9 am-5 pm or later. In addition, they close early on one weekday afternoon.
- Electricity: 120 volts AC, 60 cycles
- Phone: the dialing code for the Bahamas is +1 242 followed by seven digits. On the island, use the seven digits alone.
- Driving: When driving in the Bahamas, keep left. Additionally, be sure to have your driver’s license and insurance card.
For yacht chartering the main cruising areas are
- The Exuma Islands and Cays
- Abacos Islands
- Harbour Island
- Spanish Wells
- The Berry Islands
Nassau is the main departure city for the Exumas. Marsh Harbour or Treasure Cay are options for the Abacos.
We customize all Bahamas yacht charter itineraries according to your preferences as well as the weather.