10 Best Things to Do in Greece
Greece is an enchanting and diverse destination with many beautiful sights and attractions. From the mesmerizing blue waters of the Aegean Sea to the ancient ruins of the Parthenon, there are countless unique experiences on a luxury yacht charter in Greece. Here, we’ve rounded up the 10 best things to do in Greece on a luxury yacht charter, so you can make the most of your trip and explore the best of this incredible country.
We hope it answers the question, “What to do in Greece”?
1. Charter a yacht to explore the islands.
A luxury yacht charter in Greece is the perfect way to enjoy this magical country’s sights and sounds. With its crystal-clear waters, stunning scenery, and great food, you can’t help but feel like royalty when cruising around the Greek Islands. Each port offers sightseeing opportunities.
What type of yacht can you use?
On a modern superyacht, you’ll find all the creature comforts of home and a wide range of activities to enjoy on board. There’s something for everyone, from diving, snorkeling, fishing, water sports, and even yoga classes. Relax in the jacuzzi, watch the sun go down from the sundeck, or sit back and soak up the atmosphere while enjoying the stunning views.
A traditional monohull sailboat gives you an authentic sailing experience. These boats are spacious and have all the expected amenities, such as ensuite bathrooms and showers, lounging areas, and water toys.
|10 Guests||Year/Rebuilt: 2009|
|€185,000 - €210,000 /wk||164.00 Ft Sail|
Charter a Sailing Catamaran or Power Catamaran
Sailing catamarans and power catamarans provide a smoother ride due to their double hulls. Catamarans are a good choice for families and couples since the two hulls provide additional privacy. Catamarans also allow you to get closer to shore in shallow water.
2. Swim in Greek Seas.
The bright blue color of some of the water in the Greek islands is partly due to the white sand underneath. This combination of light reflecting off the sand creates a shimmering aquamarine hue that’s truly remarkable. The color of the water ranges from deep azure to bright turquoise, depending on the time of day and the water’s depth.
One of the most popular swimming spots is in the seas off Santorini. Here, you’ll find a variety of secluded coves and beaches, each with its unique beauty. If you’d like to explore further, head over to Mykonos. Other popular spots to swim include Hydra, Spetses, and Kefalonia.
If you’re looking for an adventure, visit the Melissani Cave. This underground grotto is located on the island of Kefalonia and is filled with crystal-clear blue water. Tour the cave by boat and dip into its cool, sapphire waters. Bring your camera to capture the cave walls’ otherworldly colors and the water’s sparkling aquamarine hue!
3. Soak up the Mediterranean sun.
Greece is renowned for its temperate Mediterranean climate, and one of the best things to do in Greece on a luxury yacht charter is to take full advantage of this. On average, temperatures in Greece during the summer range from a pleasant 75.2°F to a balmy 89.6°F.
Your yacht will have plenty of deck space for soaking up the sun. Whether you are on a catamaran, motor yacht, or sailboat, there are usually several areas for sunbathing:
- Sun deck: the sun deck is usually the highest point on a luxury motor yacht and offers unobstructed views of the surrounding waters. It usually includes comfortable loungers and sometimes even a Jacuzzi.
- Foredeck: the foredeck is a more private area at the front of the yacht that offers great views. On most luxury yachts, the foredeck has a lounge area with comfortable seating and sun pads.
- Aft deck: the aft deck is a popular place to bask in the sun as it is usually close to the water and offers easy access to swimming and other water activities.
- Flybridge: some luxury motor yachts and catamarans have a flybridge, an additional deck above the main deck. It offers a great place to catch some rays, enjoy the views, and even dine al fresco.
4. Visit historical sites.
One of the most enjoyable things to do while on a luxury yacht charter in Greece is to explore the country’s rich history. One of the most famous sites is the Parthenon, an ancient temple on the Acropolis of Athens. This iconic building has stood tall since 447 BC and is an iconic symbol of Ancient Greece. Other historical sites include the Palace of Knossos, an important archaeological site in Crete, and Plaka in Athens, a picturesque neighborhood filled with traditional shops and cafes.
Take the time to explore some of the lesser-known sites in the Greek islands, too—the UNESCO-listed Medieval Town of Rhodes and the Citadel of the Knights of St. John in Kos. Don’t forget to make time for Ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the original Olympic Games.
Other places to visit include:
- Ancient Theater of Epidaurus in Peloponnese
- Temple of Hera in Samos
- Ancient Theater of Thassos
- Acropolis of Lindos in Rhodes
- Temple of Apollo in Delos
5. Sample the local cuisine. | Things to do in Greece
Greece is famous for its delicious cuisine, and there is no better way to sample it than on a luxury yacht charter in the Greek Islands. From traditional Greek dishes like moussaka and spanakopita to more contemporary fare such as fresh seafood and meze platters, plenty of culinary delights are waiting to be discovered.
For an authentic experience, head to one of the many local tavernas on the islands. Here, you can enjoy classic Greek dishes such as stifado (beef stew) with a glass of ouzo or souvlaki (grilled kebab) with a cold beer. If you want something different, try a traditional Greek “horiatiki” salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, and oregano.
To get the full experience of Greek cuisine, eating at a small family-run establishment specializing in traditional recipes made with locally sourced ingredients is best. This type of eatery is often located off the beaten path and away from the tourist traps but can offer some of the best meals you’ll have in Greece.
6. Enjoy the nightlife. | Best Things to Do in Greece
One of the best things to do in Greece is party! You can find lively clubs and bars on the island of Mykonos that stay open late into the night. There’s also the neighboring island of Santorini which also offers exciting nightlife experiences. Head to Fira, the main city of Santorini, to explore its buzzing bars, chic cocktail lounges, and modern nightclubs.
Other islands, such as Ios and Paros, are great spots for a night out and offer fun beach bars, traditional taverns, and live music venues. If you’re looking for more low-key experiences, you can find beautiful sunset bars overlooking the Mediterranean Sea or cozy pubs where you can relax with friends over a few drinks. Whatever kind of nightlife experience you want, you will find it on your luxury yacht charter in Greece.
7. Go shopping.
If you want to take a piece of Greece home with you, one of the best things to do in Greece is go shopping. There are many great places to shop in Greece, and you can find something unique everywhere. The islands of Mykonos, Corfu, and Santorini are some of the most popular destinations for shopping, and they offer an incredible variety of souvenirs and handcrafted items.
Mykonos is especially known for its colorful stores, and you can find everything from designer clothes to locally made jewelry. Corfu has a traditional market that sells handmade crafts and local products, while Santorini is the perfect place to find pottery, olive oil, and wines.
8. Relax on the beach.
One of the best ways to enjoy your luxury yacht charter in Greece is to relax on one of its many beautiful beaches. Whether lounging in a beach chair, swimming in the clear blue waters, or taking a stroll along the shoreline, spending time at the beach is an ideal way to unwind and soak up some Vitamin D.
The diverse beaches throughout the Greek islands offer something for everyone. If you’re looking for more privacy, plenty of secluded coves can be accessed only by boat. On the other hand, if you prefer a more lively atmosphere, some popular beaches like Mykonos and Santorini have stunning views, restaurants and bars, and opportunities for watersports.
9. Take a hike.
One of the best ways to explore the natural beauty of Greece is by taking a hike. The Greek islands offer excellent hiking paths with stunning views and plenty of opportunities to take in the local culture.
Santorini is one of the best places to go hiking. Here you can find a wide range of trails that take you up to the top of the ancient volcano caldera, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding islands and sea. On some paths, you can even find ruins from the Minoan civilization.
The island of Corfu also offers some great hikes, with trails that take you up into the forested mountains and around the coast and beaches. Some old monasteries are perched on the top of hills with amazing views of the Ionian Sea.
10. Fill your IG with stunning photos.
Greece is one of the most beautiful places to visit! From the azure blue waters to the unique architecture, plenty of stunning sights can be captured with your camera. Here are some of the best spots for snapping photos and filling your IG with unforgettable memories:
- Santorini: With its iconic white-washed houses and blue rooftops, Santorini offers breathtaking views of the caldera from every angle. Capture the pink-tinged sunsets that make the island famous, or explore the beautiful streets lined with colorful flowers.
- Mykonos: Enjoy the chic vibes of Mykonos as you capture the beautiful beaches with their crystal-clear waters and powder-white sand. The whitewashed buildings that adorn the hillsides and its picturesque windmills make for excellent backdrops in your photographs.
- Rhodes: Rhodes is known for its grand buildings, such as the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes. Don’t forget to snap a picture of the old port’s lighthouse and wander around the medieval walled city to capture the ancient buildings and beautiful streets.
- Naxos: Take a tour of this beautiful island to capture its lush landscapes, olive groves, and terraced vineyards. Its whitewashed churches and windmills provide excellent photo ops, and you can dip in the clear waters at Agios Prokopios Beach for an excellent beach shot.
- Athens: Get some classic shots of Athens’ iconic landmarks, such as the Parthenon, Acropolis, and Temple of Zeus. Then wander around the Plaka district for stunning photos of the old cobblestone streets and vibrant street art.
These are just a few of the things to do in Greece. As you can imagine, you can do many things with more than 600 islands and a large mainland. For more, check out our Greece Travel Guide. There is Something for everyone to enjoy!
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.