10 Best Things to Do in Greece
Greece is an enchanting and diverse destination with many beautiful sights and attractions—delight in the allure of the Aegean Sea’s enchanting blue waters. Or, soak in the rich history amidst the ancient ruins of the Parthenon. Embarking on a luxury yacht charter in Greece promises many exclusive and memorable experiences.
Here, we’ve rounded up the 10 best things to do in Greece on a luxury yacht charter. So, make the most of your trip and explore the best of this incredible country.
We hope it answers the question, “What to do in Greece”?
1. Charter a yacht to explore the islands.
A luxury yacht charter in Greece is the perfect way to enjoy this magical country’s sights and sounds. Each port offers sightseeing opportunities.
What type of yacht can you use?
On a superyacht, you’ll find all the creature comforts of home and a wide range of activities. There’s something for everyone, from diving, snorkeling, fishing, water sports, and even yoga classes. Relax in the jacuzzi, watch the sun go down from the sundeck, or sit back and soak up the atmosphere.
A traditional monohull sailboat gives you an authentic sailing experience. These boats are spacious and have all the expected amenities, such as ensuite bathrooms and showers, lounging areas, and water toys.
Charter a Sailing Catamaran or Power Catamaran
Sailing catamarans and power catamarans provide a smoother ride due to their double hulls. Catamarans are a good choice for families and couples since the two hulls provide additional privacy. Catamarans also allow you to get closer to shore in shallow water.
2. Go swimming.
The bright blue color of some of the water in the Greek islands is partly due to the white sand underneath. This combination of light reflecting off the sand creates a shimmering aquamarine hue that’s truly remarkable. The color of the water ranges from deep azure to bright turquoise. The color depends on the time of day and the water’s depth.
One of the most popular swimming spots is in the seas off Santorini. Here, you’ll find a variety of secluded coves and beaches, each with its unique beauty. If you’d like to explore further, head over to Mykonos. Other popular spots to swim include Hydra, Spetses, and Kefalonia.
If you’re looking for an adventure, visit the Melissani Cave. This underground grotto is on the island of Kefalonia. Tour the cave by boat and dip into its cool, sapphire waters. Bring your camera to capture the cave walls’ otherworldly colors and the water’s sparkling aquamarine hue!
3. Soak up the Mediterranean sun.
Greece has a temperate Mediterranean climate. On average, temperatures in Greece during the summer range from a pleasant 75.2°F to a balmy 89.6°F.
Your yacht will have plenty of deck space for soaking up the sun. Whether you are on a catamaran, motor yacht, or sailboat, there are usually several areas for sunbathing:
- Sun deck: this deck is usually the highest point on a luxury motor yacht. It offers unobstructed views of the surrounding waters. It usually includes comfortable loungers and sometimes a Jacuzzi.
- Foredeck: the foredeck is a more private area at the front of the yacht that offers great views. On most luxury yachts, the foredeck has a lounge area with comfortable seating and sun pads.
- Aft deck: the aft deck is a popular place to bask in the sun. It is usually close to the water and offers easy access to swimming and other water activities.
- Flybridge: some luxury motor yachts and catamarans have a flybridge, an additional deck above the main deck. It offers a great place to catch some rays, enjoy the views, and even dine al fresco.
4. Visit historical sites | Best things to do in Greece
On a luxury yacht charter in Greece, exploring the country’s rich history is a delightful experience. One of the most famous sites is the Parthenon, an ancient temple on the Acropolis of Athens. This iconic building has stood tall since 447 BC and is an iconic symbol of Ancient Greece. Moreover, you can visit the ancient Agora.
Explore some lesser-known sites in the Greek islands, such as the UNESCO World Heritage site Medieval Town of Rhodes and the Citadel of the Knights of St. John in Kos. Also, see Ancient Olympia, the birthplace of the original Olympic Games.
Other places to visit include:
- Ancient Theater of Epidaurus in Peloponnese
- Temple of Hera in Samos
- Ancient Theater of Thassos
- Acropolis of Lindos in Rhodes
- Temple of Apollo in Delos
5. Sample the local cuisine. | Best Things to Do in Greece
Greece is famous for its delicious cuisine. There is no better way to sample it than on a luxury yacht charter in the Greek Islands. Taste traditional Greek dishes like moussaka and spanakopita and more contemporary fare such as fresh seafood and meze platters.
For an authentic experience, head to one of the many local tavernas on the islands. You can enjoy classic Greek dishes such as stifado (beef stew) or souvlaki (grilled kebab) here. If you want something different, try a traditional Greek “horiatiki” salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, feta cheese, and oregano.
For the complete Greek cuisine experience, it’s best to dine at a small family-run restaurant. Many specialize in traditional recipes with locally sourced ingredients. This type of eatery is often off the beaten path and away from the tourist traps. However, they offer some of the best meals in Greece.
6. Enjoy the nightlife. | Best Things to Do in Greece
One of the best things to do in Greece is a party! You can find lively clubs and bars on the island of Mykonos that stay open late into the night. There’s also the neighboring island of Santorini which also offers exciting nightlife experiences. Head to Fira, the main city of Santorini, to explore its buzzing bars, chic cocktail lounges, and modern nightclubs.
Other islands, such as Ios and Paros, are great spots for a night out. You’ll find fun beach bars, traditional taverns, and live music venues. For more low-key experiences, you can find beautiful sunset bars overlooking the Mediterranean Sea or cozy pubs. Whatever kind of nightlife experience you want, you will find it on your luxury yacht charter in Greece.
7. Go shopping.
Go shopping if you want to take a piece of Greece home with you. There are many great places to shop in Greece, and you can find something unique everywhere. The islands of Mykonos, Corfu, and Santorini are some of the most popular destinations for shopping. They offer an incredible variety of souvenirs and handcrafted items.
Mykonos is especially famous for its colorful stores; you can find everything from designer clothes to local craft jewelry. Corfu has a traditional market that sells handmade crafts and local products. Santorini is the perfect place to find pottery, olive oil, and wines.
8. Relax on the beach | Greece Fun thing
One of the best ways to enjoy your luxury yacht charter in Greece is to relax on one of its beaches.
The diverse beaches throughout the Greek islands offer something for everyone. If you’re looking for more privacy, there are plenty of secluded coves that you can reach only by boat. However, popular beaches like Mykonos and Santorini have stunning views, restaurants, and bars if you prefer a more lively atmosphere.
9. Go hiking | One of the best things to do in Greece
One of the best ways to explore the natural beauty of Greece is by taking a hike. The Greek islands offer excellent hiking paths with stunning views and plenty of opportunities to take in the local culture.
Santorini is one of the best places to go hiking. Here you can find a wide range of trails that take you up to the top of the ancient volcano caldera. And with breathtaking views of the surrounding islands and sea. On some paths, you can even find ruins from the Minoan civilization.
The island of Corfu also offers some great hiking trails. It has paths that take you up into the forested mountains and around the coast and beaches. Some old monasteries are on the top of hills with amazing views of the Ionian Sea.
10. Fill your IG with stunning photos.
Greece is one of the most beautiful places to visit! Here are some of the best spots for snapping photos and filling your IG with wonderful memories:
- Santorini: With its iconic white-washed houses and blue rooftops, Santorini offers breathtaking views of the caldera from every angle. Capture the pink-tinged sunsets that make the island famous, or explore the beautiful streets lined with colorful flowers.
- Mykonos: Capture the beautiful beaches with their crystal-clear waters and powder-white sand. The whitewashed buildings that adorn the hillsides and its picturesque windmills make for excellent backdrops in your photographs.
- Rhodes: Rhodes has many grand buildings, such as the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes. Snap a picture of the old port’s lighthouse and capture the ancient buildings and beautiful streets.
- Naxos: Take a tour of this beautiful island to capture its lush landscapes, olive groves, and terraced vineyards. Its whitewashed churches and windmills provide excellent photo ops. You can also dip in the clear waters at Agios Prokopios Beach for a perfect beach shot.
- Athens: Get some classic shots of Athens’ iconic landmarks, such as the Parthenon, Acropolis, and Temple of Zeus. Then wander around the Plaka district for stunning photos of the old cobblestone streets and vibrant street art.
Greece’s ancient heritage and Greek mythology shape Western civilization. The archaeological sites and Acropolis Museum showcase its rich history, making attractions in Greece captivating to all.
These are just a few of the things to do in Greece. As you can imagine, you can do many things with more than 600 islands and a large mainland. For more, check out our Greece Travel Guide. There is Something for everyone to enjoy!
Please call us today at 1 (321) 777-1707 or describe Your Vacation Vision to help you plan your fully-crewed private luxury yachting vacation! Inquire as soon as possible about your custom, crewed yacht charter.
You make the memories. We make the arrangements.